Webinar on advocating for strong national adoption of the European Accessibility Act
September 30 @ 14 h 30 min - 16 h 00 min
The aim of this Webinar will be to provide an overview and transposition status of the European Accessibility Act and to give recommendations on how to advocate for strong national adoption of the Act.
The European Accessibility Act has been one of the most important European Union (EU) laws for strengthening right of persons with disabilities for equal access to services and products in the EU. It sets EU-wide minimum accessibility requirements for certain services and products available in the EU internal market. While it is a significant step towards reaching accessibility in the EU, this EU law can still be strengthened during national adoption by EU countries. The deadline for the adoption process is 28 June 2022.
To help the European Disability Forum (EDF) members and other disabilities advocates negotiate strong adoption of the Accessibility Act by their governments, we organise this webinar to:
- provide an overview of the Act, including its scope, objectives, monitoring and enforcement mechanisms, the role of the national surveillance authorities;
- advise organisations of persons with disabilities on how to effectively advocate for ambitious transposition of the Act.
- Inmaculada Placencia Porrero, Senior Expert, Disability and Inclusion Unit, DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, European Commission
- Alejandro Moledo, Policy Coordinator, EDF
- Mher Hakobyan, Accessibility Officer, EDF
The webinar will provide International Sign interpretation and real-time captioning (English). The webinar will be recorded and shared later for those who cannot join.