Running from 2013 to 2015, the SPEAK UP (System for Protection and Empowerment of Autistic Child as victim of abuse or Unintentional Perpetrator) project intended to address the abuse and maltreatment of autistic children at European level by proposing to develop operational tools of prevention and protection of children as victims or unintentional perpetrators of violence.
The project, funded by the European Union, developed the following activities:
- Research, at a European level, on the incidence of the phenomenon of abuse of autistic children and adolescents;
- Planning and activation of an experimental training path for operators;
- Definition and experimentation of a pilot programme for the prevention of the risk of mistreatment of autistic children for the most vulnerable families;
- Implementation of an information campaign for the prevention and protection of autistic children;
- Establishment of two experimental intervention protocols containing specific guidelines of action in the case of suspected violence.
SPEAK UP sought to improve knowledge and awareness in relation to safeguarding autistic children and young people at a European level, both as victims of abuse, but also in the prevention of abuse and violence by autistic children against others. This work involved the development of guidelines on the prevention of violence against, and exerted by, autistic children.
SPEAK UP was funded by the European programme DAPHNE III.
SPEAK UP partners
- Foundation for autism ‘Il Cireneo’ (Italy) – Project Coordinator
- Progetti Sociali s.r.l. Impresa Sociale (Italy)
- Associazione Focolare Maria Regina onlus (Italy)
- Autism-Europe (Belgium)
- Alpha Foundation (Poland)
- Autismo Burgos (Spain)
- National Autistic Society (United Kingdom)
About the DAPHNE III Programme
The Daphne III Programme aims to contribute to the protection of children, young people and women against all forms of violence and attains a high level of health protection, well-being and social cohesion. Made by almost €120 million, the Daphne III Programme builds on the achievements of the previous Daphne (2000-2003) and Daphne II (2004-2008). The European Parliament and the Council established Daphne III as part of the Cizitens, Equality, Rights and Values Programme.