- This event has passed.
2021 European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction
24/11/2021 @ 8 h 00 min - 26/11/2021 @ 17 h 00 min
EUROPEAN FORUM FOR DISASTER RISK REDUCTION
The European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction (EFDRR) forms the regional platform structure of Europe. The triennial EFDRR has established itself as an important vehicle to address the regional disaster risk challenges. It serves as a forum for other stakeholders to take a shared responsibility and make actionable commitments to reduce disaster risk. The conference, true to the multi-stakeholder spirit of the Sendai Framework, enables governments and stakeholders to exchange experiences on successful practices and innovative approaches to prevent, reduce and manage disaster risk. This results in forward looking action plans based on a mutual sharing status of DRR implementation.
The EFDRR has been instrumental in tackling new areas such as sustainable finance as well as creating innovative ways to address challenges, including for example peer review processes and stress testing systems. The EFDRR secretariat, chaired by UNDRR, the European Commission and the Council of Europe facilitates stronger collaboration and coherence across the partners.
The outcomes of EFDRR forum are included in the United Nations Secretary General’s report to the General Assembly, in the deliberations at the High Level Political Forum in New York and at the Global Platform on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Good practices and knowledge on disaster risk-informed policies, programmes and investments are shared, with a particular focus on lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic and the following recovery;
- Partnerships are forged for increased disaster resilience;
- Progress is assessed in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for DRR in the region.
- The integration of disaster risk management in relevant sectors, particularly the health sector, is promoted for longer term resilience;
- Contributions to the follow-up processes of United Nations conferences and summits are made.
- Establish a common understanding of the common challenges and immediate threats in Europe
- Agree on a joint future vision of a disaster resilient European and Central Asian region in 2030
- Adoption of the 2021-2030 EFDRR RoadMap
The 2021 EFDRR will be structured along a threefold approach. It will, 1.) take stock of lessons from COVID-19 crisis, showcasing good practices in Europe, and Europe’s role in the world; 2) review progress to date in implementing the Sendai Framework and articulate what changes are needed for a transformative agenda on disaster risk reduction; across the pillars of economic recovery, good governance and for social equity; and 3) commit to ensuring that a disaster impact is never again so severe as the COVID-19 pandemic, articulating new commitments to achieve deliver greater resilience in Europe.
The key outcome documents would include:
- 2021-2030 EFDRR Roadmap – The EFDRR Roadmap forms the basis for coordinated implementation of Sendai Framework for DRR and related SDGs targets until 2030.
- Stakeholder Declaration – Heads of the national delegations and practitioners responsible for disaster risk reduction within the region will agree on a Stakeholder Declaration that highlights main issues considered during the EFDRR and proposes way forward.
- High-level Communiqué – At the High-Level Roundtable, participants endorse focus areas and actions for the EFDRR Road Map implementation.