This year, Autism-Europe and its members have taken part in our ‘Autism and work. Together we can’ campaign, which is raising awareness of the need for more appropriate employment opportunities for people with autism.
The campaign aims to get autism organisations, policy makers and employers to work together to meet the employment and education needs of people with autism around Europe.
What are these needs?
- Education – People with autism need access to lifelong education, adapted to their needs, including post-school education and training;
- Jobs – Studies show that between 76 and 90 per cent* of adults with autism are currently unemployed;
- Unique skills – People with autism can have unique skills that may be harnessed to produce a high quality of work, making them a valuable asset to their employers;
- Investment – Education, training and employment initiatives for adults with autism are investments that require both public and private investment;
- Social inclusion – Adults with autism often suffer from social exclusion. Education and employment can enable them to take more active roles in their communities, rather than being dependent on family and social support.
*Aspiritech, Autism Speaks, Specialisterne / The National Autistic Society (NAS) via the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services.